[Gvsig_english] WMS connection header

jaume domí­nguez faus jaume.dominguez at iver.es
Thu Jul 19 13:58:21 CEST 2007

Well, that would be an http server issue... maybe other users will give
you better information than me, but you have to keep in mind that what
you are willing is not part of the WMS specs. Authentication is not
supported by WMS (at least these are my last news). The Degree guys have
developed a proxy service that fits in the middle of the server and the
client and performs exactly what you want. The problem is that gvSIG
does not have a client for such service and you would be required to
develop it (and share it ;-) ).

Other thing that comes into my mind is to have the access granted via IP
address or IP masks in the Apache conf rather than user and password,
but... it still being a very weak security.

Or to play with network possibilities (more than one server accessed via
firewall rules)...

Or, if you finally chose to implement an authentication process by
yourself, then one option is:
1. implement the "proxy" client for your ASP script
2. when the user has been accepted, make the Capabilities document to
add the user/password values in the "onlineResources" attribute (i.e.:
onlineResource="http://yourhost/cgi-bin/yourmapfile.map?user=X&password=Y">)
for each operation.
3. use the MapServer support for these two arguments (you'll need to
dive into the MapServer's documentation for it).

Looks like you have a lot of work to do! Please, let us know how do you
deal with it.

Salut!