[Gvsig_english] gvSIG: Google summer of code 2009 project

Jorge Sanz jsanz at prodevelop.es
Tue Apr 21 15:56:39 CEST 2009

Silvio,

Well, we've been waiting for a formal acceptation of the proposals, that happened yesterday afternoon... but as always, community is fast :-)

As gvSIG is part of OSGeo and will participate on the Google Summer of Code. Well OSGeo has been in this case an umbrella not only for official, or incubating, projects so other projects like uDig, PostGIS or OpenRouter.

Ok, we presented some ideas[1] and two students applied two proposals to grant an scholarship from Google to develop two ideas this summer. One to support tiled WMS and another to get a remote symbology capabilities.

First will be done by the student Xi Chen, and will be mentored by Luis W Sevilla and the other one will be developed by Christian Reinhold and mentored by me.

The proposal of Christian wasn't well written on the "public" part witch has been published as you've seen and he focused his first approach to the symbolgy project as a private comment for mentors that has not been published. Yes, it's a little bit weird.

As a lesson for next year, we should maintain a list of ideas to develop and hopefully next year we will have more and better ones to offer to the students. In fact I was thinking on that yesterday with the spatial sqlite thread on this list.

Cheers
[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_2009_SOC_Ideas

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
Ingeniero en Geodesia y Cartografía
Prodevelop S.L. - Valencia - España
Tlf.:  96.351.06.12 - Fax:   96.351.09.68
jsanz[en]prodevelop[punto]es
http://www.prodevelop.es