[Gvsig_english] Version 2.0 final features vote?

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 12:37:40 CET 2009

OK, I am just going to start by posting my top 10 items to the list.
Who knows, maybe some of these are already being worked on.

1. Support for relative paths in project files with OS independent
path specifiers. In essence the latter means always storing dir
separators as "/" in the project file and converting them to
"\" when data is loaded on a Windows system.

2. Support for SpatiaLite: take the current PostGIS driver and GUI
code and fork a version that supports SpatiaLite (should be easy,
as the two are very similar).

3. Support for GDAL/OGR drivers. This would allow gvSIG to import
and export an enormous range of GIS file formats and data sources.

4. Map layout updates: Better export formats for map production
extension (EPS, SVG). Control for resolution and compression level of
bitmap export. Allow line widths < 1. Add support for raster map
legends.

5. Java 1.6 as default VM.

6. Support for projection-free Views. This should simply treat all
coordinates as X/Y/(Z) meter in a cartesian system and never attempt
to reproject any imported data. Very useful for working with survey
data on small sites and in local systems. GRASS GIS calls this an "x-y
location", MapInfo has the "Non-world" system. ArcGIS does not have
this, and it's very annoying.

7. A better, more convenient dialog for joining external table data to a
vector layer. The current GUI requires 3 unnecessary clicks on "Next".
Would be very easy to put this all into one dialog, ideally joining
could be done from the layer context menu, in which case the layer to
join to would already be defined and the user only needs to select the
external table plus the identical key fields.

8. An option in the editing context menu to undo placing the last
vertex of a vector feature, step by step, up to the first one.

9. A way to get a text representation of a feature in the editor and
edit its coordinates by typing instead of adjusting with the mouse.

10. A button to disable screen redraw in a View. This would make
rearranging layers in large projects a lot snappier.

Best,

Ben

Cesar Martinez Izquierdo wrote:
> Wolfgang Qual escribió:
>> Dear Benjamin, list
> [...]
>> I agree: Testing different builds of 1.9 unstable was very exciting
>> (as new features were added with nearly every build), but also quite
>> confusing, as I still do not know, what will follow and what is
>> planned. What I miss a little bit, is some documentation about the
>> developers' / gvSIG-Team's target for 2.0 (list of features - or is it
>> identical with the list of features for 1.9?). It would be really
>> great to see this.
>
> Hello,
> list of features for 2.0 will be the same as 1.9, but using the new data
> access layer architecture. This will mean a more stable gvSIG (at leat,
> that's the purpose of the new architecture), and a simpler API for
> developers. Of course, some new feature might be added, but it is not
> the main purpose of 2.0.
>
> Best regards,
>
>> What I also really would like to have: some information on the current
>> status of development of gvSIG 2.0: is it possible to give an
>> estimation, when 2.0 (not 1.9) will be released?
>> If an estimation currently is not possible: would it help the
>> developers to have such a "ranking list"? I am not so sure about it,
>> but I really would like to hear their opinion.
>>> We could make a list and the developers could dedicate their
>>> resources to the top 3 or 5 items (or however much they think
>>> is realistic). This would allow us to make sure gvSIG 2.0 contains
>>> the things users want most. All other features could then be planned
>>> for 2.1 or whatever later version.
>>> And development could soon be focused on finding and eliminating bugs
>>> and improving user interface
>>> and documentation.
>> I think that quite some users are highly motivated to support the
>> release of 2.0 via testing and sending bug reports. And I am convinced
>> that motivation could be even higher, if some more information about
>> the above mentioned issues would be provided.
>> Best regards,
>> Wolfgang

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES