[Gvsig_english] Database table linking

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 22:03:55 CET 2009

OK, to answer my own question: linking works fine.
Turns out I just misunderstood its purpose.
Now, since it works so nicely: why not update that
ugly, broken dialog and make it look like the one
for Join? Or, alternatively, just get rid of the Link
dialog and add an option to the Join dialog:

[ ] Link selected field only (1:m)

and then execute a link instead of a join if that
option is activated by the user?

Ben

Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Could someone enlighten me about how the "Link" function for
> external tables works?
>
> I have tried this many times but have never got any results.
> I tried linking DBase files and PostgreSQL tables to a Shapefile.
> I used an integer key field to link on but the result was always
> empty (no error message, either).
>
> What does my data have to look like so that the link works?
> Any differences from a Join operation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben
>

> ------