[Gvsig_english] gvSIG1.1.2/1.9 -problems reading annotations exported to dxf

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 12:36:13 CEST 2010

This may not be the advise you are looking for, but
I feel that it's the only good advise on CAD and maps,
so here we go:

DXF is an *intentional* mess. It does not provide any
standard extensions but instead allows for non-standard
hacks all over the place, encouraging the production
of incompatible "extensions". It is a format designed for
technical drawings, not cartography, so it is not suitable
for things like map labels.

Forget DXF. It sucks. Forget CAD for mapping, too.
It's made for designing engine parts, not for making maps.
Use a good GIS, like gvSIG to produce all your maps
and live happily ever after...

Ben