[Gvsig_english] FEEDBACK gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- use of gvSIG in production environment

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Jan 21 14:49:57 CET 2010

Silvio,

"I think it would be useful to have a short exercise-tutorial about the use of postGIS with gvSIG."

Don't use PostGIS myself but can look at it. Tried to setup a database recently but found it pretty hard to get simple things done despite the assurances by others. I need to work on this a bit more.

"I would like to suggest the option, for the users, to download not only the tutorials (e.g. the Pdf) but also the files (e.g. the shapefiles) regarding the workshops."

Yes I have considered this. In fact this is why I have stopped production of my tutorials. I realized that (a) I wanted examples similar to what would be encountered by Australian (e.g. aerial photos able to viewed at 1:1,000 or better, cadastral data, contours, etc), and (b) for examples shown in the PDF to match the data used -- so as you say they can follow the tutorials.

The problem was the availability of high resolution aerial photos and associated vector data in Australia. I asked the list recently for on-line examples but to date I have not been shown any Australian examples at the right scale. I have had some wonderful suggestions though but nothing typical of what I would normally use. For those people that provided suggestions, I will collate your suggestion on my website in the near future.

So what I have done is approach the appropriate government agency in Victoria (Australia) about getting some sample datasets for around Melbourne and they have shown interest in providing me access to some information under a Creative Commons License for use in the manner described. If this comes to fruition then I will have ample information to use in various tutorials. I expect to sort this out in the next 2-3 weeks, then hopefully the tutorials will start rolling out.

"In my opinion, in the end, having only the gvSIG's Italian manual, and not also some practical tutorials (e.g. some workshops) was a shortcoming for Italian users."

I agree, just a catagolue of functionality is not that much use. People need to know how to get stuff in, manipulate it and get it out -- hence (yes I am going to say it again  :-P) the need for workflow tutorials.

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 160, Sunshine, Victoria 3020.