[Gvsig_english] FEEDBACK gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- use of gvSIG in production environment

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Fri Jan 22 13:39:40 CET 2010

Ben, Chris, Anna, Silvio, Antonio, Juan Lucas, and others,

In regards to Ben's response below:- That sounds really good and
addresses my concern that as a community we should both contribute but
also be recognized for your contributions.

    This reminds me of earlier in my career when I was asked to
    investigate why a statewide database of wetlands was not being well
    received by the naturalists contributing to the system. After the
    initial flurry of contributions even the most ardent contributors
    stopped participating. The answer was simple. The contributors did
    not feel part of a community, they just felt like workers doing the
    governments' job -- no recognition or feedback was a common theme in
    the discussions.

    Compare this to the Royal Australia Ornithologist Union (now that
    really dates me) bird surveys. Contributors received immediate
    feedback once records were submitted. The RAOU published several
    books on the results of the analysis (maps, descriptions,
    discussion) and published the name of every contributor in the book.
    Needless to say this project continues strong and has provided
    millions of bird records within Australia.

    *Key components to community participation in anything is
    **RECOGNITION and FEEDBACK.*

OK, to all an sundry, it now appears two issues that need to be resolved.

    * *The first, *where should the wiki be stored and in what system.
      At present we have Plone (as part of the gvSIG site) and WikiDot.
    * The gvSIG Plone site is http://www.gvsig.org/web/. It seems
      sensible to keep such an important resource close to the main web
      portal. I presume we would not have a problem getting access to
      the wiki. The current setup is a closed system and would need to
      be reworked to provide access to whomever wanted to contribute
      material. _Silvio, are you able to clarify whether this is even
      possible?_
    * The WikiDot site is http://www.wikidot.com/. Before this site is
      considered various logistical issues need to be clarified. What
      resources are currently available, will there be any charges, can
      contributed content be moved later if we wanted, etc. _Chris, you
      would need to approach your friend, to clarify what is on offer
      and what conditions are attached._
    * Anyone have any other suggestions? Lots of other CMS out there but
      all would need to be hosted somewhere.

    * The second issue is who will coordinate / edit / moderate the
      wiki. I assume with the massive input of information you would
      need a team of people that could be involved. It would be
      overwhelming for just one person to do this.
    * This group would also need establish a Table of Contents and
      propose a structure for each page.
    * Should the community nominate people that should be on this
      committee, should we vote on nominees, or should we wait until
      someone volunteers?

    *ALL IN ALL,
         its a new year,
             this post has stirred up new interest and
                  reignited old interest in a community driven wiki.

    WE NEED TO RIDE THIS WAVE AND RESOLVE THESE ISSUES AS SOON AS
    POSSIBLE AND

    GET TO THE IMPORTANT TASKS OF CONSOLIDATING EXISTING AND PREPARING
    NEW RESOURCES*

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd