No subject

Mon Jan 11 14:18:06 CET 2010

1. Publish an up-to-date and complete roadmap. So everyone can=20
see where gvSIG is going (and be ready to make adjustments if=20
there are good reasons being voiced by the community).=20

2. Complete English translations and communication (all web pages,=20
all documentation, all traffic on the bug tracking list,=20
source code comments, error messages and GUI strings). Otherwise=20
this project will remain largely closed to non-English speaking=20
code contributors.=20

3. Open up discussion of new features and design. Let your users=20
share their thoughts about how to get features "just right".=20
It will give interesting perspectives and improve quality all over.=20

4. Open up the bug tracker read-only for everyone, but also=20
give ticket writing privileges to those users who would like=20
to go bug hunting and file reports directly. Urgent: switch=20
all communication on the bug tracker to English as soon as=20
possible. Essentially, this means external peer review=20
-> huge quality booster!=20

5. And finally, most importantly: release early, release often!=20
Don't worry about every release being perfect or even able to=20
run at all. People can always switch back to an earlier version.=20
But do give plain users a chance to try even small improvements=20
and provide feedback on how a major release is shaping up.=20
This actually was done quite well on the way up to gvSIG 1.9=20
which sometimes had a release every week (Ideal! Please let's=20
have weekly builds again!), but somehow no longer happens.=20
Note: this would also need to be done for extensions!=20
All we need is an automatic snapshot of the SVN binaries once=20
on a Friday evening.=20

Along the lines of what Silvio said: Some things to ponder over the weekend=
!=20

Have a nice weekend folks!=20

Ben=20

> Regards=20
> Jos=C3=A9 Canalejo=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Jos=C3=A9 Antonio Canalejo Alonso=20
> CSGIS=20
> Email: jose.canalejo at csgis.de=20
> Web: http://www.csgis.de=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

------=20
Files attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format (OASIS Open Documen=
t Format). If you have difficulty opening them, please visit http://iso2630=
0.info for more information.=20