[Gvsig_english] error loading big shapefile

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Mar 3 15:46:20 CET 2010

Hi,

Perhaps it is not ogrinfo that did not work but the awk-processing stuff.
You can try with plain ogrinfo.  This gives a summary of the shapefile:

ogrinfo -al -summary shapefile.shp

Without summary there will be so much info (actually just everything, all the attributes and also the geometries in well known text format) in the output that some processing will be needed.  You can try to save the output to text file first and try to find a way to analyze it later.  But perhaps the feature count reported by the summary report will be enough. Full report goes into text file with command

ogrinfo -al shapefile.shp >output.txt

-Jukka Rahkonen-