[Gvsig_english] gvSIG project structure

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 19:39:49 CET 2010

Jose

I understand that branching is not exactly a popular move
and rightly so: it wastes time and resources and creates
unnecessary confusion for users. But at the time I decided
to make the OADE branch, there was no better choice.
The reasons are ultimately linked to the release policies
of gvSIG 1.9 and 2.0. Let me give you some history on the
process. Maybe you will understand my reasoning (and maybe
even sympathize with it).

The branching was done under high time pressure because OA
needed a reliable interactive open source GIS to replace
ArcMap as a desktop client ASAP. We were pushing hard for
the acceptance of an open source GIS solution and for that
we needed a software that was feature-complete and stable
enough for production work. Version 1.9 looked like it
would be exactly what we needed, but at some point during
the bug fixing phase (to which I dedicated a lot of time
and filed many, many bug tickets), with many bugs still open,
it was decided to release 1.9 and move all development resources
to 2.0. As much as I understand the reasons behind this
move from a technical perspective, it was very frustrating
for us.

The official gvSIG version 1.9 was not in a state to be fit
for production use at OA. The binaries did not run on newer
Windows versions, there was no Mac OS X support and SEXTANTE
no longer worked. And nobody else seemed to be actively
working on 1.9 anymore. This left users (not only ours) in
a really, really bad spot. Let me repeat this: 1.9 was
declared OFFICIALLY DEAD CODE. So what choices did we have?
Contribute to a dead project? How? Or wait for 2.0 to come
around at some point in the future? That was out of the
question, as we needed a solution fast.

NOW there is talk of a 1.9.1 version, but that started
when I was already working on gvSIG OADE Beta 2. Had I known
that 1.9.1 was planned, I would NOT have done the branching.
But these decisions are made on internal project meetings
at CIT, so I got to know about them too late...

So I polished up my Java skills, started analyzing the gvSIG
source code and picked up what everyone else seemed to have just left
behind. I added a lot of bug fixes, improved the GUI and released
the software. At the time, it really looked like nobody else
would do the job, so I just did it myself!

Let me make this clear again: I did not start a separate
code branch because I think it's fun, but because at that
time to me it seemed the only way to get out a production
ready version of gvSIG 1.9 -- and fast.

There is no bug tracker etc. for gvSIG OADE because I do not
intend to keep the branch for long, so it would be a waste of
time and  resources to put up all that infrastructure.
Again: come version 2.0, I want to integrate all this work
back into the official gvSIG code tree.

HOWEVER, I have sent each and every modification I made,
all new interface strings and every single bit of my code
including a complete and detailed log to the main developers.

I have done that since the very first changes I have made
and I will continue doing so!

I have also filed bug reports along with the code necessary
for the fixing for every single bug I fixed.

With all this, I have been actively contributing to gvSIG (the
official gvSIG) at least as much as I have been working
on the OADE version.

But I only recently got write access to SVN.
So until now, it was up to the main developers to include
my modifications -- or not.

And this is the situation now:
1. It has been decided that gvSIG 1.9.1 will be released.
2. I have been granted write access to SVN.
3. GvSIG OADE 2010 has been very popular with users around
the world and the final version is almost ready for release.
4. There is no final time schedule for gvSIG 2.0.

So the question I am now pondering is: where do we go
from here? This is merely a question of efficiency, not whether
or not I am willing to contribute back to the official gvSIG
project.

Best,

Ben

P.S.:
So far, users seem to be pretty happy about about having
a version that runs on Win7, includes Java 1.6 and SEXTANTE.
At OA, we work very hard to advocate gvSIG and the OADE branch
has done a lot for increasing the acceptance of open source
GIS in the English-speaking world.