[Gvsig_english] gv_sig and future on mac os

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 17:04:12 CEST 2010

> By secure Ben I refer to programm using api compatible with mac,
> outside java. Qt by nokia now, if i'm not mistaken, do so. Udig,
> Qgis ... use this path. So... crossplatform in development but native
> in the build.

UDig is based on Eclipse, which is Java technology.
QGIS will run into trouble the moment Apple decides that C++ and
the GNU C compiler are also not good enough anymore.

> Gv_Sig is the most interesting opensource gis program I see. Ease of
> passing from esri to gv_siv, full features. But, without full support
> for osX, if java finaly, that what I beleive, can't work in a mac in a
> not so far future. Make it less attractive.

Unless the OpenJDK project totally fails (which I do not believe),
there will be a way to run Java application on Mac OS X 10.7 and above.

> Sure, you can move to linux but, for macuser, you go on program
> working on mac not moving of mac to use a software.

Strange, I would argue exactly the other way around: if you spend
most of your time working with a particular application, then how
important is it, really, which OS you use to click on the icon
and start that application?

Ben