[Gvsig_english] Additional functionalities for gvSIG 1.9 / 1.10

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Fri Oct 29 14:17:49 CEST 2010

Dear Antonio,
thanks for your words. It's always good to get a positive feedback...
> 3) Geoprocesses
> 3.1) “Lateral Buffer”: new type of Buffer for lines that will create
> a rectangular polygon involving the line laterally with a
> defined distance, and ending exactly at the end of the line.

This one sounds very useful too!

I did not make any intensive testing. However, it did not work in my case ;(

> 3.2) Split lines in equidistant sections: new geoprocess that
> allows to split lines in equidistant sections.
> -->  http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-copygeom

This tool remembers of linear referencing (or dynamic segmentation).
It can be very useful too.
Yes.

> 4) Field calculator
> option to add consecutive numbers to attribute tables
> (according to ArcView 3.2's function "rec"). The new
> function can be combined with mathematical expressions
> (e.g. Rec()+1)
> -->  http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-consecnum

This one was just covered in part by SEXTANTE "Tools for vector layer"
--> "Autoincrement value" tool, however it's another good improvement.
It can also be used to concatenate the rec numbers as strings into other
fields, great!

Uh-oh. I did not know this! But I could not find the autoincrement tool in
sextante (at least not in OADE 2010 beta). Which version of sextante do you
use?

> 5) Duplicates Function
> option to select duplicates in an attribute table. This
> allows the user to identify duplicate records in a selected
> column.
> -->  http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-selduplic

Very interesting! I have to try it yet...
--< well, it seems to work.

> So far, only 1) has been integrated into the installation package for
> gvSIG 1.10. The rest of the new tools is available
> as _separate installers_ on the osor-homepage
> (http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-selduplic)

Just a few questions to gvSIG developers:
Will these new tools be integrated in the next version of gvSIG (like
NavTable) or remain as separate extension?
Will these tools be ported into SEXTANTE library as gvSIG algs for an
useful and better integration of them? I think that this is a good
point: is it better to have standalone tools or tools which can be used
together (i.e. in a SEXTANTE model)?

Best,
Wolfgang