[Gvsig_english] copying shape file layers

Simon Cropper (The fosGIS Workflow Guides) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Wed Aug 3 08:05:15 CEST 2011

See comments in line...

On 03/08/11 15:39, Klaus Schaefer wrote:

[snip]

> I was thinking about formulating a very similar reply but finally didn't
> want to extend this thread endless...

Klaus. That too easy for the developers. I would encourage you to state
your case and to continue to do so until you are satisfied with the
response.

> However, I'm an IT person, having been working for long years as IT
> consultant. I've used hundreds of applications with copy functions. They've
> always done what I expected.

You should always post how gvSIG differs from your expectations.
Sometimes the developers don't appreciate such feedback but it is always
worth letting them know how you feel. Hopefully it results in changes in
the GUI or functionality of the product.

The argument, well that is how other GIS packages do it, is a poor
argument. If we can improve gvSIG so it is better than all the rest it
will get the credit it deserves.

> I'm working with GIS/gvSIG since about a year now. However, I may not use it
> that frequent and to an extend many of you do. That's why I apologise not to
> be a GIS-guru and sometimes ask strange questions... Now I learned that the
> GIS community has a little bit different understanding what a copy does (has
> to do). OK, I had to learn it the hard way...

Welcome to the gvSIG community. Don't apologise for wanting or needing
answers. Everyone on this list helps one another, even if the don't
necessarily agree with one another all the time.

Please feel free to ask anything. Assuming the answer is not easily
obtained from google or the manual, everyone will help.

> moving points in a layer - there's a thread in this forum as well.
 > I had even gurus looking into it on my system, without
> success...)

Sorry Klaus, I have not seen any unresolved threads. Do you have another
problem that requires attention - if so, repost you question or BUMP it
so it gets attention.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Website Administrator
    http://gis.fossworkflowguides.com
    The fosGIS Workflow Guide
    (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en