[Gvsig_english] Publisher for gvSIG 1.11.0?

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 19:56:24 CEST 2011

Hi Steven --

I am afraid these are several distinct issues.
You will not be able to get the Publisher extension
to run on the current version of gvSIG, because
it has not been updated for gvSIG 1.10/11/12 yet
(as far as I know). The error message you get from
the installer is bogus.

Regarding 32/64 bit Java: The Java byte code
in the compiled class (JAR) files is not "real"
machine language. It's 8 bit instructions that
are compiled to run in a Java virtual machine (JVM).

In other words: You can freely choose to run a 32 or
64 bit JVM on your system. Both will run the same
gvSIG installation just fine.

BUT: This is not true for the native binaries that
come with gvSIG (C/C++ code, such as GDAL for raster
data access, GRASS, etc.). Since 64 and 32 bit code
cannot be mixed within one process (program), if
you run gvSIG in a 64 bit JVM, then you also need
64 bit versions of these native binaries. Such
versions are not currently available for download
(as far as I know).

Regarding JAI: This also contains native binaries
and those are not available in a 64 bit version.
And never will be, because JAI is abandoned
software.

BUT: JAI does not need to use native binaries.
Those are only meant to speed up things. You
can just install JAI and the Java Image I/O
tools into a 32 bit JVM, then copy only their
JAR files into your 64 bit JVM, and you should
be OK, although you may lose some performance
in image data access.

Bottom line:
- You cannot currently run gvSIG in a 64 bit JVM
without loosing major functionality (but you can
run it just fine in a 32 bit JVM on your 64 bit
operating system!).
- You cannot run the Publisher extension with
any recent version of gvSIG

Hope this helps to clarify things.

Ben