[Gvsig_english] synchronisation extension

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Wed Aug 17 09:05:14 CEST 2011

Hello, Jan.
Yes that's correct and we don't have plans to update it.

Some clarifications:

The initial intention was to perform a two-direction synchronization (PC <==> PDA), which implies dealing with DLL libraries and IP addresses. We found more difficulties than expected and finally abandoned the idea because anyway it was not a very useful feature, in the sense that one normally needs to edit a very small number of vector files and can handle them by using the file explorers and Active Sync.

Therefore the "synchronization" extension simply helps you create a little folder in your PC, where the data files are copied along with an automatically created gvSIG Mobile project file. The user then moves that folder to the mobile device and opens the project.

Without the extension, things are not very different:

- Manually copy you data files to the device (SHP+SHX+DBF, ECW, GML, etc)
- Start gvSIG Mobile in the device
- Add the copied files as new layers one by one
- Optionally save the project in gvSIG Mobile
- Once the field work is done, manually copy the new data files to the PC

Regards,
Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)