[Gvsig_english] gvsig 1.9.x - 2.0 and jython

Cèsar Ordiñana cordinyana at gvsig.com
Mon Feb 7 09:23:22 CET 2011

Hi Georg,

El 04/02/11 12:22, georgsedlmeir escribió:
> Jorge,
> in case you should need another tester you could count me in, I am strongly
> interested in the upcoming gvSIG scripting features. For the time being it
> seems that there isn't an official gvSIG jython API available, at least my
> search didn't actually yield results apart from the tutorial to be found on
> the gvSIG website.
> Do you know of further documentation describing the gvSIG scripting object
> model in detail? Thank you very much.
>
> Best regards,
> Georg Sedlmeir

In the case of the new scripting plugin available in gvSIG 2.0, our
initial plan is to provide access to all (or almost all) the gvSIG Java
API from any script, as the supported scripting languages allow to call
Java code (bytecodes actually) more or less easily. So to create a
script you will be able to use the same documentation and examples
available to develop gvSIG java plugins.

In the plugin's current state you have access to the gvSIG 2.0 core Java
API, and some work has still to be done so any gvSIG plugin is able to
make its own API available to the scripts.

That's our idea for the gvSIG 2.0 initial release. In the future we
would like to use the scripting languages facilities to create a DSL [1]
to make gvSIG scripting easier, but can't tell for sure and for which
scripting languages. It will depend on available resources and if there
are any volunteers.

Just in case anyone is interested, the scripting languages available in
the scripting plugin are:

- Python (Jython)
- Ruby (JRuby)
- Groovy
- Javascript/ECMAScript

We planned initially to include Beanshell support also, but if you want
to use the Java syntax, you can do it through Groovy.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain-specific_language

Cèsar Ordiñana Navarro
gvSIG software architect
DiSiD Technologies (http://www.disid.com)