[Gvsig_english] gvSIG at OSGeo LiveDVD, request for documenters

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Mon Feb 14 13:58:30 CET 2011

Hi all,

OSGeo-Live[1] is a self-contained bootable DVD, USB thumb drive or
Virtual Machine based on Xubuntu, that allows you to try a wide variety
of open source geospatial software without installing anything. It is
composed entirely of free software, allowing it to be freely
distributed, duplicated and passed around.

gvSIG is packaged at this Live DVD, I've been maintaining the install
script for gvSIG for a while, an easy task thanks to the debian package
version. I also created the gvSIG overview page and also translated some
documents into Spanish.

The point is that gvSIG lacks a good quick start document[2][3] and I'm
not able to prepare it for the next release so I'm asking here if anyone
wants to help creating that document.

A "quick start" is a document describing for a someone that never has
used gvSIG how to load some data (remote or local) and perform some
simple tasks (i.e. create a thematic map, or a layout)

You can see, for example the uDig quick start[4].

So, if anyone is interested about helping on this, it would be a nice
contribution to the gvSIG project. I can help translating the quickstart
into the markup format is needed on the project, so an ODT or HTML would
be OK.

Of course, you can reuse any of the existing gvSIG training materials
available out there, but they have to be adapted to the OSGeo LiveDVD
data to enable any LiveDVD user to follow the quick start document.

Best

[1] http://live.osgeo.org/
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Application_Quick_Start
[3] http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/overview/overview.html