[Gvsig_english] Query on why gvSIG CE came about

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Thu Jun 30 17:35:48 CEST 2011

El 30/06/11 17:17, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> Dear Amelia, dear all.
>
> a short comment regarding the language aspect: you are right, gvSIG has
> improved a lot. The program is now available in many languages. This is
> great, no doubt. We also contributed a little bit to improve the German
> translation. Another aspect that should not be forgotten is the
> "infrastructure", e.g. the bug tracker. I have stopped reading those
> messages in the past, as many of them were only available in Spanish
> language. I guess it has improved in the meantime. Another little issue: the
> start page of gvsig.org opens in Spanish language. It would feel more
> international, if it would be in English. But this is just my opinion.

New bug tickets should be in English, but as with java code, there are
lots of legacy stuff. Please, if someone finds *any* resource that you
think it should be in English, ask on this list.

Yes, .org should be sensitive with the browser language, that's somethig
we have to change and I can assure you is on our task list.

> One thing that I do like regarding the gvSIG CE "team": within a very short
> period, some very interesting infrastructure was set up: easy-to-use wiki,
> forum, webpage. Breath-taking. I used the plone website for translating
> parts of the manual, but I always found it a little bit too complicated to
> use.

Regarding SourceForge, yes you have a nice set of features, but as
always, technical things are mixed with economics and politics.

SourceForge is a US company and some time ago they banned US embargoed
countries access. You know, that's old story. Nowadays they moved that
"ban decision" to the projects but that behaviour can change at any
time, who knows...

For us as a project is unacceptable to have those restrictions so we
cannot go the "easy way" and we have to spend a lot of time and
resources to follow what we think in the "right way". Yes, it's
frustrating sometimes but at least we are honest with our principles.

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team at Prodevelop
Technical Collaborations Manager