[Gvsig_english] QUESTION: Spatialite Support?

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 17:21:17 CET 2011

I have talked to Luca Bianconi who developed the
SpatiaLite support during the last GSoC. He is
willing to put some time and work into backporting
his stuff to gvSIG 1.x and making it fully functional.

But he is going to need some help from experienced
gvSIG developers. Could I ask everybody willing to
commit some time to this to join in?

Below, I am quoting Luca's current open questions.
Let's give him some answers and see how hard it would
be to get working SpatiaLite support into gvSIG:

[quoting Luca with small changes]

- I guess they've fixed the bugs they had in Xerial sqliteJDBC,
so now it's possible to use directly the SpatiaLite libs and
functions (operating system specific binaries) from the driver.
I just read it a month ago but I still have to test it.
Anyway just to see if we could have some results in the very
shortest term we could use the wrapper I've written that was
mostly working as far as I know.

- We need some GOOD documentation of the extension system,
of how compile extensions and how to test them.
If not, we just need someone that knows these things very well,
to simply fix the extension already available in the GSoC repository.

- If someone can provide the COMPILABLE code of a simple/very basic
DB/Data-provider extension for gvSig 1.x we can try directly
with the available, stable gvSIG build 1.x .
This would fix most of the problems we had during the GSOC with gvSIG.

- With COMPILABLE code, I'm sure I will understand on the spot
how it works and I've just to adapt/fix the GSOC wrapper/sqliteJDBC+SpatiaLite
lib for the routines/classes used in the gvSIG data-layering system.

--> So: can we recommend Luca a good gvSIG 1.x extension to learn from
for his SpatiaLite provider? And can someone point him to current,
working instructions for compiling extensions?

Best,

Ben