[Gvsig_english] QUESTION: What are the most common languages that documentation is translated into?

Mario Carrera carrera_marrod at gva.es
Thu Mar 17 13:12:04 CET 2011

Hi Simon,

as you say, the most common languages of the gvSIG documentation are:

1. Spanish: It's usually the original language of the documents. We try
to make them directly in English when it's possible.
2. Italian: The gvSIG 1.1.2 manual is translated already, and the
Italian community is updating it to the current version for the Italian
gvSIG Conference in April.
3. English: The gvSIG 1.10 manual is almost finished, it's being updated
at this moment.
4. Brazilian: The translation of the manual was started some time ago.
The Brazilian community is growing a lot, with more than 150 users in
the Brazilian list in only 10 months. There has been a big group on the
list who have updated the translation of the gvSIG strings, and the next
step will be to translate the manual.
5. German and French: Part of the gvSIG 1.1.2 manual was translated. One
of the objectives of the Communities area of the project now is to build
up both communities, and one of the first tasks will be to continue the
translation.
6. Russian: The Russian community was created some weeks ago. They have
worked hard on the translations of the strings, and some documents of
the manual were translated.

Apart from it, we look for gvSIG courses on the web, and some users have
sent us their courses. We are uploading or linking these courses from
gvsig.org (https://gvsig.org/web/docusr/learning/). There are courses in
German, Spanish, French, English, Italian and Portuguese.

gvSIG is used in more than 80 countries, and there are users and
developers registered at the gvSIG lists from more than 50 countries
(that's what we've detected).

About the countries that we hope to expand into, there are some
communities created recently and we're working on it: Brazil, Argentina,
Russia, and the French-speaking community, apart from the German and
Italian ones. The Italian community is just one of the most active
groups. With the gvSIG Day in Nottingham in June, we also hope to build
up the gvSIG community in the UK.

We think the best language to communicate with these users is English,
because it's known by almost everyone.

Best regards,
    Mario