[Gvsig_english] Feature request: progress bar when loading big layers

Antonio Falciano afalciano at yahoo.it
Thu Mar 31 18:50:26 CEST 2011

Il 31/03/2011 18.27, Marcel Schoolmeesters ha scritto:
> Hey,
>
> I think, your topic belongs to gvSIG Desktop?

Hi Marcel,
yes, I was referring to gvSIG Desktop.

> However, gvsig mobile could need some progressbar, too, of course.

...or a loading image/icon or more simply a waiting cursor.

> The question about loading vectorfiles is interesting, I think. As
> I've got already problems with raster files @ 25MB...(start parameter
> at 256MB)
>
> I've tested some shapefiles (from http://downloads.cloudmade.com)
> with the gvSIG Mobile src running in Eclipse (OS: Windows 7):
>
>     File: france_highways.shp (size = 336277700)
>     Error: "Error while opening file: Not enough memory" => no layer
>     in ToC, but it is loaded into the map view!??
>
>     File: spain_highways.shp (size = 185766396)
>     Error: same error message
>
>     File: germany_natural.shp (size = 152891836)
>     Error: no problems!
>
>     File: germany_highways.shp (size = 810905604)
>     Error: not enough memory - of course
>

> The problems seem to start at about 150MB? Does it depend on the
> computer or does it depend on java itself? is there any differences
> using gvsig mobile or gvsig desktop (while loading shape files) ?

Your test is very interesting and useful for debugging, I think. The
bottleneck should depend by a combination of these factors, plus the
particular used driver. For instance, I was not able to load a DXF layer
of 60 MB on gvSIG Desktop 1.10 today.

Cheers,
Antonio

--