[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and quick information: error message appears in gvSIG 1.11

Cèsar Ordiñana cordinyana at gvsig.com
Mon May 30 18:00:19 CEST 2011

El 30/05/11 15:32, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> Dear list,
>
> I activated the quick-info-function for my shapefile "referate" and it
> worked well. However,
> a strange error message pops up, every time the cursor is moved. Error
> message in the logfile:
> And I had to realize that it is not possible to edit this layer anymore,
> new error message:
>
> in a driver: gvSIG shp driver
> Can´t find file: /opt/uis/proj/referate/referate.shp
> in a driver: gvSIG shp driver
> at
> Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /opt/uis/proj/referate/referate.shp (Too many open files)
> at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
> at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at
> com.iver.cit.gvsig.fmap.drivers.shp.IndexedShpDriver.open(IndexedShpDriver.java:159)
> ... 14 more
> DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 com.iver.core.mdiManager.NewSkin - Activando
> Information console
>
> I really do not understand this message: What does "Too many open files"
> mean? I only opened 3 layers in the current view.
>
> Any ideas would be great!
> Best,
> Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

You have hit the system or shell file handles limit. Look at this search
for explanations and solutions about the problem:

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=linux+Too+many+open+files&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

This is related to the system, as the number of files (including sockets
and other system handles) is limited globaly or per user. But it may be
a gvsig problem if files or remote connections are not closed when not
used anymore, or remain opened when not really needed.

- Let me ask you some questions to try to know how how reached the
opened files limit:

- Do you have a gvsig project with a lot (I mean hundreds if not
thousands) of layers? Or many gvsig instances?

- Are you using other programs at the same time as gvsig?

- Could you send us how many files opened has the gvsig process? To
obtain it, for example in gnome, open the system monitor , right-click
on the gvSIG java process and select the "show open files" menu option
(it may take a while).

Cèsar Ordiñana Navarro
gvSIG software architect
DiSiD Technologies (http://www.disid.com)