[Gvsig_english] GPS points are located at a wrong position on the map

tomargles t.w.argles at open.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 13:39:38 CEST 2011

Lisa and Ricarda,

I did some testing of these two workflows recently, using gvSIG v 1.10...

Lisa and Ricarda wrote:

> We collected GPS-points and loaded them into gvSIG
> - on one hand directly via the DNR Garmin Software by saving the waypoints
> and tracks as shapefiles,
> - on the other hand by loading them first (as .gpx files) in Google Earth
> (there they were projected at the correct position) and then in gvSIG

...and I also suspect it's a projection issue. I found the most reliable way
was to save the GPS points in DNR Garmin as an /unprojected /shapefile, and
then make sure that I chose EPSG 4326 (WGS 1984) as the 'Current projection'
in the Add layer dialogue. Points then loaded fine into a view window in the
British National Grid projection, reprojecting on the fly.

Good luck!
Tom