[Gvsig_english] transfer GPS-data, “gpx”-format, to gvSIG

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Wed Sep 26 14:58:18 CEST 2012

El mié 26 sep 2012 14:38:31 CEST, Klaus Schaefer escribió:
> Dear gvSIG-friends,
>
> many of you work with GPS devices to map network and customer data
> for water scheme documentation (cadastre), project layout, design
> and other planning activities. Many of you, as well, use a GIS
> application to visualize and analyze the respective data and/or
> combine it with customer data, district data, billing data and
> other sources of data.
>
> Different GPS-devices work with different interfaces to transfer
> data to a GIS. Many of you work with Garmin GPS devices, mostly of
> Dakota and Oregon types. I have now compiled a small workflow and
> process description on how to get GPS data into a GIS using the raw
> “gpx” files that are provided by these devices. Other GPS devices,
> like “Garmin eTrex”, “Trimble” or “Magellan”, may not produce “gpx”
> data files and need other processes in combination with GIS.
> However, the Garmin “Dakota” and “Oregon” types seem to be the most
> popular ones and other types and brands may use the
> “gpx”-interchange format as well.
>
> Different GIS applications (ArcGIS, QGIS, gvSIG…) have different
> ways of dealing with GPS-data as well. Some can import from GPS
> devices directly, but probably not from all of them. Most common
> standards to provide data for GIS layers are shape files or spacial
> database tables (e.g. PostgreSQL/PostGIS).
>
> Since many people working with GIS/GPS applications have similar
> tasks to do and have to deal with similar issues and requirements,
> several tools have already been developed and provided to the
> community. Over the last two years me myself I have done a lot of
> work in these kind of scenarios and I realized that it is time to
> compile a “best practice” handout from my experiences so far, for
> the benefit of all of you. Of course there is not “one way only” to
> achieve the same results. However, I wish this small document to
> support you in your daily efforts.
>
> Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to
> me. I appreciate any feedback from your side, so hopefully these
> instructions can be extended with your experiences, too. Please
> feel free to distribute this document to other persons that may be
> interested.
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards Klaus
>
> Transfer-gpx-Files-to-GIS_1.00-001.pdf
> <http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n5004621/Transfer-gpx-Files-to-GIS_1.00-001.pdf>

- --
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/transfer-GPS-data-gpx-format-to-gvSIG-tp5004621.html

Sent from the gvSIG users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Thank

you very much Klaus for your document.

As you say there are many ways to convert GPX files to something more
"GIS" friendly. In fact it's quite desirable as I understand GPX as
something "raw", your starting point to derive data.

OGR is a well known library that understands GPX[5] so you can easily
convert from this format to many others[1] using the ogr2ogr utility
program[2]. Here there is a cheatsheet to have at hand[3].

OGR can be installed on Ubuntu/Debian from the "gdal-bin" package. In
Windows you can use the OSGeo4W[4] distribution.

Cheers

[1] http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html
[2] http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html
[3]
http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=ogr_cheatsheet
[4] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/
[5] http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_gpx.html

- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
http://www.prodevelop.es
tfno: +34 963 510 612

To see the archives, edit your preferences or unsubscribe from this
mailing list, please access this url: