[Gvsig_english] Feedback gvSIG 2.0.0.2066 -- Add-on manager

Antonio Falciano afalciano at yahoo.it
Tue Jun 4 11:23:54 CEST 2013

Hi Simon, all,

Il 04/06/2013 03:11, Simon Cropper ha scritto:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Operating System: Ubuntu 13.04.
> gvSIG Version 2.0.0.2066
> Java version: 1.6.0_20
>
> *Feedback*
>
> 1. The dialog title has a underscore in the name.
>      I suspect it shouldn't.

You're right. gvSIG ui has to be fully internationalized yet, so all the
underscores mean missing translation at the moment.

> 2. When selecting from alternative repositories from the drop
>      down list associated with the third radio button. The
>      radio button should be automatically selected once an
>      alternative repository is selected.

IMHO, when an installation mode different from "Installation from URL"
is selected, the repositories drop-down list should not be active, just
like the textbox related to "Installation from file".

> 3. It is unclear if the various repositories are mirrors.
>      Some basic feedback to the user on this screen would help
>      people understand when any of these option should be used.

I like the idea that the URLs list should be updated remotely in order
to clean it regularly and eventually set the best possible option, like
http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/gvsig-desktop/, as the first available.
This sounds like a further feature request! ;)

> 4. The main category list should also include "not installed"

I should add an "update" category too, because it's not always clear if you
have installed the last version of something (e.g. Addons manager).

> 5. In the main category list you have "simbology" it should
>      be "symbology". I suspect this would also be a good spot for
>      the "symbol sets".

IMHO "Symbology" category should contain all related plugins and
symbols. Instead, "Symbols" type should be related to all symbol sets,
as it is actually designed.

I add something else to this useful list...

6. I'd leave the operating system column and let gvSIG to understand on
which os is running.

7. When some critical bugs about (experimental or not) plugins are
fixed, I'd update the repositories more frequently in order to allow and
encourage the users to continue the tests. Release early, release often! ;)

Cheers,
Antonio

--
Antonio Falciano