[Gvsig_english] ...and gvSIG 2.0?

Alvaro Anguix aanguix at gvsig.com
Wed May 22 14:11:57 CEST 2013

Hello,

El 22/05/13 13:30, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> Dear Alvaro,
>
> thank you very much for your answer. I am really looking for gvSIG 2.0 to be
> available for users, and I guess that many more are feeling the same way.
> However, I would appreciate if there was more information available about
> this "evolution". The blog is nice, but it does not yet provide enough
> information. For example: what about sextante - will it be integrated?
The Sextante geoprocesses come by default in gvSIG 2.0. They have been
unified both georocessing frames from the 1.x branch in only one where
you can find the gvSIG "classic" (clip, merge ...) geoprocesses, the
ones for raster tools and the Sextante geoprocesses.

> What kind of issues that gvSIG 1.x had will be "solved" in gvSIG 2.0?
The most important changes are due to the stability, sustainability and
other implications on the architectural refactoring. We could say that
we now have a solid foundation. There are minor improvements like not
having to choose the driver file you want to load, automatically open
the View when you create it, menus and buttons have been reordered (and
the buttons do not change position "magically" :-)), new raster info by
point, or such , we can close the splash clicking on it while opening
gvSIG. And then we have the new features we are commenting on the blog:
importer symbols (and symbols packages as OSM, Google, Forestry,...),
WMTS, etc.
The most important thing is that the improvements will be continued in
the coming months, as there are several projects that have been or are
being developed on gvSIG 2.x branch and they will go "feeding" the
project. One example is the thematic maps derived from gvSIG Educa
project. In short, for example, we'll have available a graph complement.
And that dynamic, we hope will be, not only maintained but growing over
the time.

> What will be different?
This, of course, will depend largely on the own resources of the project
and contributions from the community. As a priority we want to migrate
all the functionality dispersed in gvSIG and made them available for 2.0
(you know that the usual loss of version compatibility on the 1.x
branch, that had extensions working in one version and not in another).

> Why should we all use it?
Ha ha, you should not ask a mother why his son is handsome.
:-)
Joking aside, I really think it is the base to have the most powerful
gvSIG we've ever had. The timing of when to migrate, as I said, will
depend on the needs and to assess when the new version will cover them.

Regards,
Alvaro