[Gvsig_english] [Gvsig_usuarios] worries about the gvSIG-community

georgsedlmeir georg.sedlmeir at muenchen.de
Wed May 29 11:51:06 CEST 2013

Giuliano is taking the words out of my mouth, I am totally with him on this
topic. Just picture the same question being asked in user mailing lists over
and over again just because of that fragmentation into different languages
(talk about redundancy).
English is and will always be THE pivotal language for projects with an
international scope. It is nice to have translations in a variety of
languages but is it crucial? I don't think so, the opposite is the case, and
everyone would probably rather get an answer in an English speaking mailing
list than not get an answer at all. Unfortunately, at the moment it seems
that you often don't get answers on the English mailing list, and that's
probably not a good sign.
Take a short look at how things are being handled by another major Open
Source GIS-project and what their community structure looks like.
I've done a few translations from English to German over the last couple
years but I have to say that my motivation at this point is dropping because
to me it seems pointless to further promote the translation into my native
language while at the same time the English speaking user base remains
static at best and the English user list becomes deserted.
So here's my plea to the association and everyone running gvSIGs
communications infrastructure, especially the website but also the facebook
site, etc: Focus on English. Make it the only language for official
communications, stop the fragmentation and bundle the knowledge and skills
of users and developers in one list.
This is not about cultural variety, but about the success of a project we're
all attached to and that we want to see thrive and not see getting left
behind.

Best regards,
Georg