[Gvsig_english] Help with Shape file

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at gvsig.com
Thu Oct 17 12:05:45 CEST 2013

El 16/10/13 12:07, Ravi Kumar escribió:
> Hi,
> I am preparing for an exercise in Vector analysis, using gvSIG,Qgis
> and OpenJUMP.
> The shape file opens in units= 'metre', in Qgis and OpenJUMP but it is
> not so with gvSIG.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qp7pybj5c08jdw3/MV0cBe84Td
>
> above is a link to one of the shapes. gvSIG opens it with units that
> are not metres, and also shows lat longs upsurd.
>
> Pl let me know where I am going wrong.
> ThanQ in advance.
> Ravi

Dear Ravi,

Your shapefile is in projected coordinates. To open it on gvSIG you need
to set up your view on the CRS of your data, or if you use a lat/lon CRS
(like EPSG:4326) then you have to declare the CRS of your data in order
to let gvSIG do the on-the-fly transformation.

Using "ogrinfo" tool, your data is like this (note the extent and layer
SRS metadata):

[jsanz:~/tmp/ravi] $ ogrinfo -so shape-files/INDIA_boundary_arc.shp
INDIA_boundary_arc
INFO: Open of `shape-files/INDIA_boundary_arc.shp'
      using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.

Layer name: INDIA_boundary_arc
Geometry: Line String
Feature Count: 14
Extent: (427826.375000, 250872.984000) - (3271592.250012, 3509010.750000)
Layer SRS WKT:
(unknown)
OBJECTID: Integer (9.0)
FNODE_: Integer (9.0)