[Gvsig_english] Video recording posted GeoForAll lab webinar "mini-conference" Oct 10

SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy
Tue Oct 15 17:01:39 CEST 2019

?Thank you Victoria, Rafael and Charlie.

The presentation from Sergio Y Lara (Uruguay) on gvSIG Batovi is an excellent example of a successful initiative in Open Principles in Education and helps us to understand why scalability and costs for scaling is fundamental . Through their focus on Open Principles in Education they have now provided high quality spatial education to students in all schools across Uruguay . Thanks to the Plan Ceibal they also have free laptops for all Primary and Secondary students in the country so they truly have the opportunity to reach every student no matter they are rich or poor with high quality teaching and learning tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwN9K07XPo
                            (Video with English translation)

The presentation from Victor Sunday  (Unique Mappers Team) shares the work on  youth and women empowerment that they are doing in Africa . Their contributions to quality education, climate action is inspiring. GeoForAll is working closely with YouthMappers and other partners worldwide to help provide geoeducation opportunities for all students.

The presentation from Cameron Green (University of Pretoria, South Africa) highlighted the importance of Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDI) and the fundamental link of SDI to all 17 UN SDGs. Many developing countries lack Spatial Data infrastructures which is key for evaluating and monitoring SDG progress.  He showed GeoNode http://geonode.org     an open source Content Management System for GIS. There are many examples of Geonode implementations for example the World Food Program https://geonode.wfp.org that might be of wider interest.

I want to thank all speakers for sharing their experiences and ideas.

As our next step, we to want learn from successful initiatives like gvSIG Batovi, GIS at School etc to scale our teacher training programs for schools  to provide geoeducation and STEM education opportunities to millions of students globally and welcome ideas. Spatial Education is key for tackling Climate Change. One of our GeoForAll labs established at the UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre in Poland<https://www.gridw.pl/en/opensourcegeolab> has been doing pioneering work on Environmental Management , Active Education over many years. Details at https://www.gridw.pl/en/opensourcegeolab

One of the inspiring work that they are involved is the GIS at School  http://www.edugis.pl/en/images/stories/guide/gis-at-school.pdf

btw it is nearly 25 years  (in 1994)  since I first came across the amazing "geo world" by pure chance. I was able to learn GIS thanks to the help from many kind people who I will always be grateful for their kindness to me.   So it is now my duty to help open the doors of geoeducation and geodigital economy opportunities to everyone. Details at https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/please-share-open-principles-science-and-education-ideas-and-philosophy

I am grateful to everyone working to make geoeducation and digital economy opportunities available for everyone.

Best wishes,

Suchith