[Gvsig_english] A short question about prj-files and gvSIG

Antonio Falciano afalciano at yahoo.it
Fri Aug 3 10:35:52 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Qual ha scritto:
> Hi list,
> I only have a very simple question regarding shapefiles and projection. Does
> gvSIG automatically detect when a shapefile has a projection file (prj-file)?
> Are prj-files created when shapefiles are transformed? In ArcView 3.2, users
> were "educated" not to care about projections. At least this was my
> impression...
>
> Regards,
> Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, hi list,
I noticed this fact and something else about the management of CRS in my
first post on this list
(http://runas.cap.gva.es/pipermail/gvsig_internacional/2007-March/000259.html).
In other GFOSS there is a trace of the CRS generally in a WKT file
(projection file) and not only in the project one such as in .gvp.
Furthermore, when I explore the properties of a layer in the TOC, I'd
like to see in which CRS that layer is projected indipendently from the
project containing those geographic data. This problem can't be
absolutely underestimated in a good GIS/SDI client.

Best Regards,
Antonio