[Gvsig_english] remarks and wishes for digitizing

Michael Fecht fecht at grid-it.at
Tue Aug 14 13:06:17 CEST 2007

Hi list,

we have a project in which we have to digitize a street layer from Spot
Image Data. Among other things the street layer will be used for routing
and network analysis. So it is important for us to digitize the lines in
a proper way.

Now we are faced with a few problems:

1. After digitizing a first line, we cannot access the snapping
information (final point, nearest point) of the first line to snap the
second line to it.
We found a workaround for that (e.g. using the panning tool), but when
you have to digitize a whole spot scene this workaround is dissatisfying.

2. We try to connect two lines at their start or end nodes. The snapping
information (final point, nearest point) is very usefull for that, but
its  not possible to differ between a ordinary vertex and a start or end
node. (see final_point.png)
Maybe it is possible to display "start node" or "end node" according to
the vertex number (0 ... n) on mouse over.

3. Although we try to work accurate, it happens the we miss a junktion.
In that case I usually would split the existing line, assign the
attributes (to both parts) and connect the new line with the junktion
(node). But there is no splitting tool available at the moment. I know
(see roadmap) that it is planned to implement the topological features
within 2007. As I have seen in the mailing list some others were missing
this tools too. May its possible to assign a higher priority to that
features, that it is available in one of the next releases.

Greetings
Michael

--
Mag. Michael Fecht

GRID-IT Gesellschaft für angewandte Geoinformatik mbH
Technikerstraße 21a, A-6020 Innsbruck
web  www.grid-it.at
fax +43 (0)512 507 4869

tel +43 (0)512 507 4862