[Gvsig_english] Free But Shackled - The Java Trap

Luis W. Sevilla sevilla_lui at gva.es
Wed Jun 20 21:33:32 CEST 2007

Mario Pisa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In this old issue, Richard Stallman advise about warnings with Free
> Software (Not Open Source) and Java, With the released OpenJDK, the
> FSF congratulations to Sun for his decission, but he said "We must
> learn a lesson from the history of Java, so we can avoid other traps
> in the future.".
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

April 2004 it's 3 years old, and obviously does not include the idea of
suf releasing JVM under GPL license. I think using this essay today has
no sense.
a more recent one, about java and freeness, coming from FSF:
https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-welcomes-gpl-java.html

> AFAIK, Sun licensed GPL for Java 5 and 6 (Mustang and Dolphin) and, in
> other hand, libraries for images 2D are not GPL (for example JAI).
>
> at this moment, if my knowledge is current, can I declare what gvSIG
> is free? (yes, it's Open. But is Free?)

can you declare it? answer by yourself.
and about the basis: capability to be free being written on java:
http://directory.fsf.org/all/ant.html
http://directory.fsf.org/all/eclipse.html
http://directory.fsf.org/libs/java/HotSwap.html
http://directory.fsf.org/all/IzPack.html
and some dozens of proyects more, listed under FSF/UNESCO directory of
free software.

> with the only spirit to generate a cordial debate that enrich us to all,

I see anything but search of empty dispute, sorry.
anyway, my two cents.
greetings
    Luis