[Gvsig_english] errors when running gvSIG on Linux

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Fri May 11 11:34:20 CEST 2007

Hi!

> You are using Java version 1.5.0; the recommended version to run gvSIG
> is 1.4.2. Version 1.5.0 is unsupported for the moment.
Intersting. Java 1.4.2 isn't even anymore in the repositories.
Yes, my Java version is
java version "1.5.0_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

>  You can install "gvSIG with prerrequisites", which will install a
> proper JRE version bundled with the JAI libraries, besides gvSIG.
I used the option:
"Install ready to use in home directory"

Now it works.

Is this the prefered method or should all this Java options be installed
system.

I'd like to have this directory to be selfcontained in order to be able
to move it to /opt/
For instance, when I rename the gvSIG_1.0.2/ to gvSIG_1.0.2x/ I get the
folloing error msg in the console:
  ./gvSIG.sh
cd: 4: can't cd to /home/timmie/gvSIG_1.0.2/bin

Well, the program runs nevertheless.

Thanks for your help!

Timmie