[Gvsig_english] Field calculator::possibility to calculate x/y coordinates?

Antonio Falciano afalciano at yahoo.it
Fri Sep 21 15:22:14 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Qual ha scritto:
> Hi Sergio,
> thanks for your response. Great to hear that calculation of coordinates is
> possible for point themes. Sometimes, calculation of coorinates for polygon
> themes can be interesting, too. A colleague of me (she actually uses ArcView
> 3.2 at the moment) needed that function in the past to identify polygons in
> two versions of the same theme.
> I think that ArcView first calculates the centre of gravitiy of a polygon and
> than calculates the coordinates of that point. My colleague therefore used
> these coordinates to see, which polygons had changed its shape.
> Therefore, my question should be a different one: is there a possibility to
> identify the centres of gravity for a polygon theme?

Hi Wolfgang,
Exploring better the extension "Sextante for gvSIG", I have finally
discovered a solution for your question:
Open the "Gestor de herramientas Sextante", then go to "Herramientas
para capas vectoriales" and click to "Centroides"... It works fine!
Unfortunately, the translations of Sextante don't exist now, but I think
that we all users and developers could contribute in our respective
languages :)

Best Regards,
Antonio