[Gvsig_english] FOSSGIS 2008 in Freiburg /Germany

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 4 16:45:38 CEST 2008

Wolfgang Qual wrote:
> Hello Miguel,
> well, I may be naive. But would it be hard/possible/feasible to set-up a mirror server for the source code? I do not know, what the ressources are, but there are other very small projects who are doing so. I hope that you are not annoyed by what I am writing. I just try to understand the issue. And the interest in the community is *really* great. Users are happy to see that the development is going that fast and programmers have so many ideas what could be done...
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:13:58 +0200
>> Von: "Miguel Montesinos" <mmontesinos at prodevelop.es>
>> Betreff: RE: RE: [Gvsig_english] FOSSGIS 2008 in Freiburg /Germany
>
>> Hello Wolfgang,
>>
>> It's good to see that there is interest in the community towards all these
>> steps we are planning.
>>
>> The first step would be just that one, read-access. But even that may
>> cause a perfomance degradation, as there are a "very big number" of developers
>> using it now, and from time to time we already have some perfomance
>> problems. So it's easy to foresee more perfomance problems if we add more access
>> to the SVN (even just read-access).
>>
>> When we fix the risk, and "certainly" avoid that problem, It should be
>> made public.

Folks,

Howard Butler (OSGeo SAC Chair) has experience setting up SVN mirrors which
is apparently not too hard.  If performance degredation is the main issue,
having a read-only svn mirror at OSGeo could potentially be a solution.  It
would add only one extra "draw" on the central system, but could feed a read
only copy of the system to anyone interested in tracking the development
version closely.

Let me or Howard know if assistance is desired in this regard.