[Gvsig_english] question about gvSIG's union function

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Thu Aug 28 16:45:15 CEST 2008

Hi Cris, list all.
Many thanks for your message and your efforts. I think that I came to the conculsion: the tools of the geoprocessing toolbox seem not to work with 3D-shapefiles:

But I have to explain this a little bit:
The original themes (see attached screenshot) were exported as shapefiles using the layer-export to shapefile dialogue from our internal geodatabase (oracle spatial, connection via geoBD). As you can see, they do not contain that much features. However, when applying the union-tool, I only got the geometry of theme1 (but expected to get both geometries in the result). Well, as you wrote that the tools were working perfectly for you, I go a little bit mistrustful. I remebered that UMN mapserver had sometimes problems when trying to display features that came from our geodatabase. The reason was that UMN mapserver was not able to display 3D-shapefiles. Therefore, we had to convert these themes into normal polygon data.

Therefore, I "consulted" the command line tool ogrinfo:
wolfgang.qual at rgu04-200:~$ ogrinfo -al /tmp/plan_gen_flaech.shp |less
INFO: Open of `/tmp/plan_gen_flaech.shp'
      using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.

Layer name: plan_gen_flaech
Geometry: 3D Polygon
Feature Count: 1
Extent: (4452548.810027, 5324955.409982) - (4479473.219973, 5345647.200018)

In fact, the file was a 3D polygon.

The rest was simple: convert that shapefile into a normal polygon feature using ogr2ogr:
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" /tmp/plan_gen_flaech2.shp -nlt POLYGON /tmp/plan_gen_flaech.shp

Afterwards, gvSIG produced the result that I expected before. Very good.
Well, I am happy to have gdal and the gdal-utilities installed on my computer (but I think that not every gvSIG user has installed it, too). Therefore, I was able to find the reason for the problem.
Therefore another wish from my side:
Wouldn't it be great to add the following functionality to gvSIG:

* possiblity to analyse shapefiles (like ogrinfo)
* possibility to make some converting-magic (3d--> "normal" shapefile)
* enhanced error messages ("Applying union-tool was not possible because of 3D-input data etc.")

Best regards,
Wolfgang
-------- Original-Nachricht --------