[Gvsig_english] BUG??? gvSIG 2.0 devel (and gvSIG 1.9 alpha) will not work correctly with "older" linux versions!

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 10:23:24 CET 2008

All subversions of a major libc/stdc version should have full ABI
backward compatibility. A later glibc should work fine for
executables linked to an earlier version (they use individual
symbol versioning, which means that all objects defined in e.g.
libc 2.3 will have the same version in libc 2.6).

So you should be able to link the native libs on Linux to an old
libc, say 2.3.2 and things should work fine on e.g. a recent Ubuntu.

As an alternative, all necessary system libs could be bundled in
the installation directory and the startup script just needs to
point LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the location of those bundled libraries.

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES