[Gvsig_english] Install problems on Ubuntu 8.10

Justin Fischer jfischer at fcaog.aog.state.ut.us
Fri Dec 19 23:30:00 CET 2008

Hi List,

Yesterday I attended a wonderful training on gvSIG and resolved to give
it another try.  I had it installed on my computer, but it wasn't
working correctly, so I downloaded gvSIG-1_1_1-linux-i586-withjre.bin
and installed it using the bundled jre.  Unfortunately, I still have the
problem that the gvSIG window won't resize and several dialogue boxes
are empty.

I saw this howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=650183 which
describes my problem perfectly, but the solution doesn't work.  The
window will resize, but all I get are a series of "user error" messages.
[I installed Sun Java 6 to try this out, and it does have a slightly
different minor version number than the howto.]

Beyond that I have been googling for a solution for a few hours with no
luck.  Can anyone please point me in a good direction?

Thank you,

Justin Fischer