[Gvsig_english] saving project storing relative path names to layer sources

pvmstg pvmstg at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:01:35 CET 2008

> Relative path is what makes it possible! the relative path is to
> the project file e.g. <some path data which may be in Unix form /
> blah/home/foo/projects>/<my project name>/<subfolders> - this moved
> to Windows or a different Unix or just a different computer just
> needs to know the start point. The fact the Windows computer
> (currently) uses a mapped "drive" at G:\ or a \\servername\folder
> is not important, nor is it important that on my computer the path
> was /home/user/projects and on your mac it was /users/user/
> documents/sigprojets. What matters is the paths that follow, even
> if they include shortcuts (would be mounts in Unix, but Windows
> users need to be involved too!).
Anyway, we try the 2 ways and relative doesn't do the jobs... Moving
around project doesn't work in relative since projects move but the
data to point at... doesn't... so for us at least... we use full
path... So... leave at user the choice.

> Not sure what scale you are at, but PostGIS scales in all
> directions i.e. being open source and enterprise class, there is
> almost no situation in which (strategically) it is not the best
> option. And even in that small minority it would be advisable to
> start looking at it!
All is question of time and money... I work part time for a small
firm who make maps on arcview and now arcmap.  Moving from personal
database to file database is verry easy.  But... for them, the use of
database like postgis it out of the question for now... So, if I
whan't to push gv_sig, it has to be as simple to just link to the
huge data they already have... not making a duplication of data.

Imagine... they start with arcview 3 but when passing to arcmap 9,
the need to keep av3 since the conversion betwen the two was to time
consuming.  So if, when gv_sig will be ready for map production, I
hope to challenge them to use it, the time need to learn gv_sig is a
drawback but if in top of that.... we have to duplicate all the
source (since old projects in aw3 or am9 whon't be redone) to
accomodate postgis....  to time consuming...

> Our approach is to move to cross-platform and platform neutral
> solutions wherever possible, and in GIS this means moving spatial
> data to a database which multiple applications can read/write. This
> allows a gradual migration to new software, or in our case a mix of
> products depending on user and use case.

I agree with that.... but think of compatibility with de facto
standard... esri.... at least...

Marcel