[Gvsig_english] gvsig and postgis / polygon creation

Francisco José Peñarrubia fpenarru at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 10:34:33 CET 2008

Hi.

1.- I suppose it can be revised, because other people found this way a
bit tricky.

2.- gvSIG try to save as MULTIPOLYGON, if you close de polyline. Maybe,
the problem is still the same, your table doesn't allow Multipolygons,
just Polygons. In my opinion (I remark is my opinion, someone can think
other way ;-) ), POLYGON tables aren't useful because you cannot draw
"donuts" or Islands that belong to a province, for example.
Anyway, is the same behavior that you can find en shp2pgsql utility.
This utility will create a table of multipolygons if your shape contains
polygons.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Fran.

PS: To clarify a bit more, this part of code is used to decide wich
geotype to use:

        case POINT2D:
            aux = "POINT";
            break;
        case LINE2D:
            aux = "MULTILINESTRING";
            break;
        case POLYGON2D:
            aux = "MULTIPOLYGON";
            break;
        case MULTI2D:
            aux = "GEOMETRY";
            break;

We don't use LINESTRING or POLYGON because sometimes the geometries come
from shape files, and we don't know (a priori) if some of them will be
POLYGON or MULTIPOLYGON. (Same with LINESTRING or MULTILINESTRING).