[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Fri Jul 25 11:18:34 CEST 2008

Hi list,
few months ago, there was a discussion on this list regarding the possibility
of creating high-quality printouts, resp. creating printfiles that can be
given to a professional printing-service. Thus, it would be necesary to
create special pdf-files (for example pdf/x-3, x1a) or create such files out
of a ps-file in an external application. At the moment, this seems not be
possible using gvSIG and available external applications, because of
different reasons:
* ps/pdf-Export of gvSIG is limited - depeding on the size of the content of
the map, exporting seems to be a problem (even with quite some RAM), some
symbology information is missing and a known bug regarding labeling
* to my knowledge, it is not possible to process ps-files to pdf/x-3-files
using open source software (such as scribus, which can save pdf-documents in
x-3-format).
So why do I write all this?
Well, first, I would be interested in the opinion of the developers. What is
foreseen for the future regarding "professional printing": do you see gvSIG
to become an application, which should allow users to create files that can
be used for professional printing purpose? If gvSIG itself won't do the job,
it should be possible to create export-files which can be used within a
dtp-programme or any other program that allows the creation of the requested
files.
What about users: how do you deal with this issue? What is you opinion
regarding "professional printing". Do you consider it as necessary or are you
just happy with the printing functionality of the current version?
Right now, it is already possible to quickly create a paper map of your
project. This is already very good and I like the map composer very much.
However, I think that we should discuss about the next step. I would be very
glad, if you would add *your opionion*. We - the Department of Health and
Environment of the City of Munich would like to create a cycle map using an
open source tool - using gvSIG. Therefore, that topic is of growing
importance. Maybe other users do plan similar things. I am really looking
forward to hearing from you....

Best,
Wolfgang