[Gvsig_english] Re: Installing gvSIG 1.1.1 (or 1.1) on Ubuntu 8.04 fails

Marc Belzunces mbelzunces at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:03:06 CEST 2008

2008/7/28 Charlotte Declercq <c.declercq at alkante.com>:
> I have Ubuntu 8.04 and Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05).
> GvSIG 1.1.2 is perfectly working.
>
> do java -version to know which jre you are running...

That's very strange. My experience in Windows is that gvSIG doesn't
work if you haven't installed Java 1.5.0_12, although you have
installed 1.6. Is your Ubuntu 8.04 a clean installation (as mine), or
are you coming from previous Ubuntu versions?.

However, if on Ubuntu I select manually Java 1.6.0-b09, installer
doesn't like it, and gvSIG  doesn't start (in addition, you can't
install later JAI's).

--
Marc Belzunces

http://www.softcatala.org/

Bloc personal: http://www.holoce.cat
Planeta Softcatalà: http://planeta.softcatala.org/
Skype: mbelzunces

Hi all,

I'm trying to install gvSIG 1.1.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 , but it failed.

The problem is with Java (as first step). I did "chmod +x" and "sudo
./" to the bin package, from my user folder. When gvSIG tries to
download it, the error message "The JRE could not be setup" appears. I
have java 1.6 from medibuntu repository.

I also tried to install Java packages from gvSIG webpage, but the JAI
Image I/O is not installable (corrupted or some related problem).

Any solution?