[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Tue Jul 29 12:38:27 CEST 2008

Hi Silvio, list,

> Certainly, ps and svg formats would be the best options.
> For instance, I drew myself many North Arrows and I saved them in the svg
> format with Inkscape. At
> present, when you save them as pdf in gvSIG they lose their "quality"
> (I suspect they are transformed from a vector format to a raster one).
> Obviously, the jpeg format is not the best option to print an excellent map
> ;-)
Yes, I also think so.

> Regarding
> the ps format in a previous mail in this mailing list you explained us
> you couldn't use it succesfully with Scribus and this  is really a pity
> because Scribus is, in my view,  the best pubblishing software in the
> open source arena.
I created a very simple map and exported it as a ps-file. Importing that
ps-file into scribus took very long and in the end, I had to close the
application. sure, more test are necessary.

> In an Italian mailing list, an user claimed
> the pdfs exported with gvSIG were not handled succesfully with
> Inkscape. (the 0.46 version has added this option).
I will test this also.
> On the other
> hand, the same guy wrote he could import into Inkscape quite well the
> pdf exported with QuantumGis. I don't know if this is true but, maybe,
> this is another aspect to analyse.
>
> Best regards and thanks a lot for all your suggestion.
>
> Silvio
This is a very thrilling topic. I wished there was some input from the
gvSIG-team/developers.

Best,
Wolfgang