[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Tue Jul 29 13:26:38 CEST 2008

Hello Marcel,
> As following gv_sig development as user side point of view, the
> professionnal printing capability is a must have.
agree.

> Actualy, gv_sig is, at least in the future v2, the only opensource gis
> that could do the job of making professionnal map, not only data
> querry or manipulation.
I would like to pass this question to the developers. How would you classify
gvSIG regarding printing? If professional printing should not be a task of
gvSIG - where could it be done (for example using scribus,inkscape...)

> Since for the user, printing map for distrubution is also a goal,
> prepress output with accurate rendering is a must have (not like in
> arcmap where you can have road in you view but not printout).
As written before, our department used ArcMap to create that cycle map. The
map was exported into eps and that file was converted into pdf/x1a or x-3
using Acrobat distiller. That file could be given to the professional
printing house. Creating that eps and pdf was quite complicated - lots of
testing and trials were necessary - but it worked, finally.

> Actualy we doesn't use gv_sig since the symbology is to basic for map
> making (starving to see the v2).  We stick with arcgis with big
> limitation like problem when using pdf output or tiff output so for
> professionnal printing, after many try, we print wallmap in tiff and
> finish inclusion of picture and others elements in photoshop since
> drift in color when doing all the work in arcmap layout.
Ok. My colleague (who created that cycle map) did not report about problems
regarding color shift (drift).

> So, to be a solid gis for mapmaking, gv_sig should be able to make all
> the prepress inside the application with prepress standard output like
> pdf/x3 or, beeing able to export the map layout directly in some
> prepress software like (scribus, sk1) to finish the work and then go
> for prepress.
Has anyone some more experience in using scribus (esp. with large files)? I
only created a flyer using that software (however, using also colour
profiles, created a pdf/x-3 and gave it to a printing house. Worked great. My
tests with gvSIG-created ps file were not successful).

> Actualy, some opensource gis is available mostly for data manipulation
> and simple mapping.  None of them is close to gv_sig in the map making
> area.  So  I hope gv_sig will completely be able to handle big map
> format to send to prepress.
I also hope this. However, we should also think about alternatives. Many
people are talking about svg format (--> inkscape, scribus). Also, some more
tests with scribus would be of great importance, I guess..

Keep on writing...!

Best,
Wolfgang