[Gvsig_english] gvSIG performances on different platforms

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Fri Jun 13 12:51:49 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

I am wondering if gvSIG has different performances depending on the platforms where it is installed?
In particular, I am interested in the differences between a Microsoft system and a Linux one.
I suppose the answer is no. I read this information in the International mailing list :-)
I am confident gvSIG 2 is going to be much better than gvSIG 1.1.

Nevertheless, I know a little bit OpenOffice and its Java background.
On linux (Ubuntu Hardy), OpenOffice is a bit slower than on Windows.
Besides, OpenOffice has different bugs on Linux (I checked the Sun's bugs list).
As a consequence, I suppose it could be the same for gvSIG (but maybe I am wrong)?

I asking this not out of curiosity but because I am planning to migrate to Linux Ubuntu (installed on a 32 bit CPU).
At present, I installed VirtualBox on Windows xp home edition, Ubuntu Hardy and, finally, gvSIG 1.1. (to avoid drivers problems).
Obviously, with the Virtualitation the performances are not the best :-)

My only fear is that gvSIG could be less tested on a Linuxt platform (as it happens for OpenOffice installed on a Ubuntu platform).
In conclusion, maybe, on Linux, gvSIG could be less performant?

I can't tell anything about the bugs.
At present, there is not a way in gvSIG to check them.
Hopefully for the gvSIG 2 series it will be different or, at least, I hope so ;-)

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Silvio