[Gvsig_english] gvSIG Mobile (pilot) released.

Miguel Montesinos mmontesinos at prodevelop.es
Mon Mar 17 17:30:15 CET 2008

Hello Agustin,

I agree that iPhone is a very interesting platform, but it does not allow Java development so far. Sun has announced further support for iPhone using its phoneMe project[1]. We are currently trying to support phoneMe Advanced JVM, so when a JVM becomes available for iPhone, we'll run tests for checking compatibility.

Morevoer, more and more platforms come out with a kind of non-stop fever. Android [2] is also another very important platforma as well. Porting to this platform (where applications only can be developed in Java) may be not so easy, as it's not a J2ME compliant architecture. Ubuntu recently announced a version of its operative systems for mobile devices, with Java support[3]. And there are more, like OpenMoko [4], a full-open-source project that has open specifications for both software and hardware, with plans for J2ME support.

Some of these platforms may take several months of development for supporting, so it's important to target to the most wid range of support. So far our intention is to offer support for J2ME-CDC platforms in a first stage. This would allow gvSIG Mobile to work with Windows Mobile, Ubuntu Mobile, OpenMoko, some other Linux PDAs, and maybe iPhone. But we also have Android in our mind.

Hope this helps.

[1] https://phoneme.dev.java.net/
[2] http://code.google.com/android/
[3] http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/15876/new_details_emerge_on_ubuntu_mobile