[Gvsig_english] Sql language in the shapefile filter

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Wed May 21 08:56:21 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

In my opinion the Sql syntax regarding the filter for a vector layer is difficult to apply because it is not commented enough in the gvSIG's manual.

Together with other 4 Italians I have translated the gvSIG's manual into Italian and I remember there was  only one example for the Sql syntax regarding the filter.

In many cases the syntax is self-explanatory (for example a>1000 is easy to understand); in other instances it is not so clear. You can try to write something but you never know what it's wrong.
Unfortunately, every software uses its SQL dialect (Sql syntax in Mysql is a bit different from Sql Acces or Sql Base in Openoffice).
In my view, it is really important to write more examples for the gvSIG's syntax regarding the filter for a vector shapefile in the next gvSIG's manual (for the upcoming 2 version).

Best regards

Silvio