[Gvsig_english] linear symbology

PIERRE Sylvain sylvain.pierre at cg67.fr
Tue Nov 4 09:43:47 CET 2008

Hello list,

I'm a new user of gvSIG. Now I'm using Mapinfo for professional use. I have test some other opensource gis software (udig, Qgis, Kosmo,...).
But gvSIg appears more complete than others.
An important point is that by the past (5 years ago) I was an intensive user of ESRI's products (Arcinfo on Unix, Arcview 3 on desktop)
My feeling at this moment was Arcview 3 was a powerful tool of productivity, simple but with a lot of possibility to manage data and to make maps.
GvSig is very close to Arcview, but some functionalities are missing especially into symbol management.
With Arcview you could manage linear symbol as best as it was possible:
You could apply an offset to the right or an offset to the left so you could make maps showing both side of a river or a road with different information (vegetation type of river side for example), informations coming from a single datasource.
Do you think it's possible to get this function with gvSIG next release?

Regards

Sylvain PIERRE
CONSEIL GENERAL DU BAS-RHIN
Pôle Développement des Territoires
Direction de l'Espace Rural et de l'Environnement
SERVICE DE L'ADMINISTRATION GENERALE
Tél : 03.88.76.68.88