[Gvsig_english] Georeferencing MrSID (.sid) format image

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Wed Nov 26 15:37:55 CET 2008

Hi, Denis:

As Antonio says, gvSIG should read the georeference information contained in your SID files, but for some reason, it's not read (maybe it's not there?) and the raster is located at the default (0, 0).

I don't know what will happen with your 1.6 billion pixel images, but you can try this:

gdal_translate -of gtiff -co "TFW=YES" filename.sid filename.tif

Then open the file 'filename.tfw' and check if it makes sense (the last two numbers should be not equal to zero). If the tfw does not make sense, you will have to find out the coordinates of the top-left corner of your images and write the 'filename.tfw' yourself. Then you can use the tif file in gvSIG, and if it's too large, you can compress it again, for example to ECW:

gdal_translate -of ecw -co "LARGE_OK=YES" filename.tif filename.ecw

GDAL is part of FWTools: http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)