[Gvsig_english] Re: setup development environment

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 13:25:27 CEST 2008

I found some more bugs in my notes that I forgot to include in the last
message:

---

When attempting to save a project, the Spanish error message:
"Fallo guardando el Proyecto en :
com.iver.cit.gvsig.project.documents.table.ProjectTable"
appears.
This happens if the structure of any table in the Table
section gets changed, e.g. as a result of an editing operation OR
if that table gets moved to another location in the file system
without the Table manager knowing about it.
Deleting all manipulated tables from the Table section of the Project
manager, then saving again will work.
I have also had this problem
with an external DBF table in the Table section open, from which I had
joined fields to one of the attribute tables.
I think a better behaviour for the program would be to kick faulty
tables out of the Table section (warning the user about it first,
of course), rather than refusing to save the project which can be
a really frightening experience for users!

When attempting to save a project, the Spanish error message:
"Error guardando el proyecto" appears. This seems to happen when adding
the same Shapefile as more than one layer. In my case, the .GVP project
file got corrupted (zero'd) afterwards once!

SEXTANTE aborts with an unspecific "User error" when trying to open the
toolbox. This can happen if one of the layers in the active data view is
invalid. SEXTANTE needs to query all layers for their type (raster,
vector, ...) upon start-up and it will fail if one of the layers is
faulty. This may happen if e.g. one of the layer's DBF file is missing
or damaged. I think better behaviour for SEXTANTE in this case would be
to output an error message about the defective layer, so the user can
have a chance to either fix or remove it from the project.

Layers become inactive, display incompletely and cannot be deleted.
This regularly happens, if the connection with the attribute table
breaks. This can easily happen if DBF or other database tables or
edited in an external application. If you e.g. rename a field and
one of the layers depends on it for labelling or thematic display, then
the connection will break!
I think the "Reload" function for broken layers will have to check
whether fields used for labelling or symbology still exist and disable
those settings if necessary (warning the user about it).
Even worse would be a situation where a user deletes or adds table rows
in an external application without gvSIG knowing about it. But even in
this case, there should at least be an error message telling the user
that a manipulation of the database structure is the source of the
problem.

---

Cheers and thanks for all the hard work,

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeology Ltd
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES